Please allow javascripts to see this page correctly


Leaky building assessments

Do you own a leaky building or are you interested in purchasing a building that might have leaky issues? Property Check offers the following services:

Weathertightness Report
A visual inspection using moisture scanners and qualified weathertightness assessors to assess the weathertightness risks and provide guidance on the way forward.

Invasive Testing
Identify weathertightness risks and carry out probe testing into the framing to determine moisture contents and soundness of the timber. Provide guidance on the likely extent of the leaks.

Destructive Testing
Includes invasive probe testing to determine areas that are likely to be damaged by mould and timber decay. Further testing is then carried out by cutting into the cladding to identify the extent of damage. A report is produced that will provide you with the required repair strategy and detailed report on the results of testing, defects and remedial work required.

A basic function of a home is to protect against the elements. But not all houses are weathertight. When a house is leaky, it’s deterioration means it is not only losing functionality, but also value. This is the number one issue when buying or selling and expert advice not only grants peace of mind but also saves stress and big expense later on. This is how we can help:

Houses subject to weathertightness issues were typically built between 1990 and 2005 and have plaster coatings or similar. If you are looking to purchase or selling a house with weathertightness issues, you may wish to purchase one or more of the following:

  • A non-invasive assessment of weathertightness by a qualified assessor.
  • A full building inspection report that includes a full weathertightness assessment by a qualified weathertightness assessor.
  • Invasive testing to areas found to be subject to weathertightness issues from the non-invasive assessment by a qualified assessor.

Weathertightness assessments should be carried out by building inspectors that have specific training in this area. Registered builders are not trained for weathertightness assessment, this is why the usual “builder’s report” is NOT sufficient. A builder or building inspector that simply uses moisture meter equipment does not necessarily have the right knowledge and skills to make a correct assessment. And this could cost you dearly.

Most money lenders will not accept a report on a house that is perceived to be at risk to weathertightness issues unless the report:

  • Is a comprehensive weathertightness report completed by an inspector that is an accredited weathertightness assessor or registered building surveyor
  • The report specifies the actual risks to weathertightness issues
  • The report has comprehensive detailing of non-invasive moisture testing throughout the dwelling
  • Has been completed by a qualified inspector with Professional Indemnity insurance that covers weathertightness
  • Does actually cover weathertightness – ie some reports exclude weathertightness completely in their terms of engagement or limitations, even when they have a “moisture testing section” in the report.

A person selling a house that has perceived weathertightness issues requires the right help. Not all plaster houses built between 1990 and 2005 are leaky or should be labelled a “leaky building”. Likewise, not every house without plaster or built after 2005 is free from weathertightness issues. Every house is different and requires qualified advice and the right report to safeguard the investment of current and future owners.

Property Check’s qualified assessors and custom-built technical equipment can provide the best advice for you if you are owning or considering buying a house that may be considered at risk to weathertightness issues.

How do you identify weathertightness issues or a leaky building?

Contact us today if you interested in purchasing a building that might have leaky issues.

Call us
Copyright © 2024 Property Check Terms of Use Privacy Policy